Thursday, May 7, 2009

13.1 miles

It took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to run my first half marathon. It wasn't the best time, and it was five minutes over my goal, but I finished—and that's what matters for your first half ... right?

Notice the wet pigtails? Forgot to mention it was nearly 90* in Central Park that day. I'd started training in February, so runs in anything more than 75* just didn't happen. So to keep the runners from, uh, killing themselves, the powers that be canceled the full marathon and didn't officially time our half. A bit annoying, but probably smart. So instead of really concentrating on running fast, I just concentrated on finishing and not keeling over. And the fire department came out and set up hoses on the fire hydrants to keep us cool, and I stopped to drink Gatorade at every water station. Happily, it worked!

By mile 10, I was feeling ok and I knew that I'd never run any longer than 10 miles ... ever. But in my head, I kept saying, "you only have a 5k to go. 5ks are so easy!" But that last 3.1 miles were the longest I'd eeeeevah run.

But I crossed the finish line, sat down for a bit, then found Jamie and Jes who walked the 13.1 in less than 3 hours (!!), and we celebrated our finishes.

The next half? This fall, and I will break 2 hours and 15 minutes. It'll happen. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

sulu-design said...

You rock! So glad to see you finished in an admirable time. And I'm glad to hear that you made it back to the beautiful state of Oregon for a little visit. It will always be here...

Camels & Chocolate said...

Congrats, yay! You should run the first half of the Marine Corps (DC) with me--I'll need the motivation to get through another full!

rachel. said...

kristin -- can you do that? you can run the first half of a full? when is it???

and thanks, susan! i would be lying if i didn't admit that you running a half was total motivation for me! so, thanks :)