Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My week without ...

I've been reading ReadyMade's A Week Without blog posts for a while now. First, my friend Amy gave up processed foods, and now Virginia is giving up spending any money for a week.

Well, so am I.

But I didn't plan on it. My purse was stolen on Monday night, right out from under my legs. Sneaky McSneakerson purse-snatcher just slipped it away from me as I was having dinner with a friend. Sigh. Gone are my credit cards, debit cards, cash, MetroCard, cell phone, iPod, digital camera, sunglasses, keys, driver's license, etc. etc. etc.

Since all my means of spending any money are frozen for at least three days, I can't spend a cent. My dear Calley gave me $100 and a new MetroCard, and so far I've used $50 of it to buy a new cell phone. That was priority.

Otherwise, nothing. Nada. No happy hour. No dinner. No groceries. No yoga. But really, it's kind of invigorating in a city like this. It's made me realize just how much I do spend every day and how much of it might be not be necessary.

And I am suprisingly not that upset about the whole thing. Sure, it's a pain to replace things, but stuff is just stuff. It's like I'm starting completely over, since in just one day, I have a:
  • new phone
  • new driver's license
  • new work building ID
  • new bank accts
  • new credit cards
  • new fraud alerts
  • new locks
  • new relationship with the NYPD
Yup. Starting over. Again.

No comments: