Friday, August 15, 2008

Call on Me

After traveling to Des Moines and having nothing but a spare Post-it to write my contact information on, I figured it was time to get my own business cards. After all, who knows how long it will be before I get a real job. I couldn't stand the idea of getting some run-of-the-mill cards from Kinko's or something, so I took a bit of time this afternoon to shop around some letterpress sites (twist my arm, really). I figured I could "gift" myself some personal letterpress since I love it so much ... besides, a creative field deserves creative cards, right? Here's some of what I found:

I love the vintage typewriter (the exact replica of the typewriter I'd actually like to find!) on this style from blackbird letterpress:


Also loved the classic style on these cards from Dolce Press:


These, though, were my favorites, from Brooklyn Social Cards (via Design*Sponge):



In the end, my budget wouldn't let me spend too much (most of these were upwards of $150 or $250 (!) for 200 cards), so I counted myself lucky when I found The Mandate Press's cute and relatively inexpensive letterpress calling cards. They're just $95 for 250 cards.

I'm now the lucky recipient of these, The Femme Fatale:


Love 'em.

7 comments:

firmament said...

When you get to NY, you must get K to take you to The Arm. There you can learn to make your very own letterpress ephemera!

rachel. said...

i've never heard of this! thanks for the head's up.

btw, still want to grab coffee some time this week or next? let me know!

Camels & Chocolate said...

Pretttttty!! And I love the Design Sponge ones, too! In the future when these run out, you should get one of your design-savvy friends to make a personal design (so quick and easy for those artsy types) and then upload it to an online printing press. I got like 300 for $30 that match my website and they look expensive!

Julie said...

I LOVE them! Good choice. I'm a big fan of the Design Sponge ones too. :)

rachel. said...

kristin -- that's a great recommendation; i'd thought about having some friends do it, but got impatient. i'd love to see what yours look like!

Brianne said...

Hey Rachel!

Love the letterpress. Question for you: do you know anyone at Cookie magazine? There's a really cool woman here who runs an online boutique toy store (gorgeous stock) and I'd like to pass her contact info on.

Thanks!
Brianne

rachel. said...

hey brianne! how are you? i actually don't know anyone at cookie, but you could grab a copy and email someone on the masthead. their format is firstname_lastname[at]condenast.com