Thursday, September 25, 2008

Traipsing around the East Coast

It's been a few days. Sorry 'bout that. I'd give the same, lame excuse (things have been nutty), but I'll spare you that.

I've been in the city a month. Still freelancing, still unemployed, but now I'm in this odd rut of trying to pitch stories and get more jobs--in other words, I'm doing a TON of work for no money. So, I'm resorting to getting some sort of baby-sitting job or something to make ends meet. I'm reverting back to a high school existence. Can you tell I'm thrilled about it?

That said, I did make it down to DC this weekend for a good friend's and old co-worker's wedding. And, praise be, I'm off the wedding hook until 2009!

Thank you, Megabus, for your grand $38 transportation.

And thank you Hotel Monticello for transporting us back to the 1700s and waking us up with these nice mules:

Georgetown's M Street is fantastic. I'd never been down to DC before, so I was thrilled both of the friends I was with were up to making it into a mini-vacation. We shopped (window shopping, of course) and ate. A lot. Crabcakes, shrimp, beer, yum!

Saturday morning, we got up (not early; I was sleeping on a real bed and was reveling) and then decided to traipse around the National Mall to see the monuments. A quick nervous moment when the parking garage attendent lost our keys but we found them and were on our way.

Again, I'd never been to DC, so my inner nerd revealed itself quickly. Lincoln, Jefferson, Roosevelt, oh my! I geeked out. Next time: museums. Watch out.

That's me in front of Mr. Obama's new house for the next four years.

Sandy and me Washington Monument-ing.

Where Jenny saw Forrest again!

After our whirlwind National Mall tour, we scooted back to Georgetown, gorged on sweet potato fries at the Tackle Box (seriously, go there), and drove to the Holiday Inn in Leesburg, Virginia. Well to be more accurate, we drove there, passed the hotel, then after a "uh, I'm getting concerned we're going the wrong way," drove back again (when there are iPhones in the car playing Jon Stewart videos, we miss exits).

Quickest wedding preparations ever at the hotel, then we sped off to the b-ea-u-tiful Breaux Vineyards in Purceville, Virginia.

I'm a big fan of weddings at wineries.


The best Country Home staff there ever was.


A quick trip back on Megabus, and I was back in the city. A great trip.

This weekend: My 25th birthday. Yes, kids, it's true. I've been around for a good quarter century. But to be honest, I'm not feeling to keen on the whole party I planned for tomorrow. I'd rather just let it pass quietly--after all, it's hard to celebrate when you, uh, don't have a job, apartment, or otherwise real meaning for existence. However, drama aside, it should be fun.

2 comments:

sulu-design said...

Happy belated birthday! Looks like you had a fabulous time this weekend. I hope you lived it up in honor of yourself (not just the wedding).
your post a few days back about sending your resume to the wrong editor was great. You'll look back on that and have a good laugh one day. Still keeping my fingers crossed for you!

rachel. said...

thanks, susan! appreciate the finger-crossing, for sure. and oh, dear, i'm already laughing at the editor slip-up. sigh. que sera sera, right?