Thursday, September 18, 2008

Roadblocks

The Internet is down at my apartment ... no fix in sight.

I have to spend $2/visit in coffee each time I come to the neighborhood coffee shop to use their Internet without guilt.

My apartment is also a T-mobile dead zone. (In short, if you want to get a hold of me, be patient. I'll get the voice mail or email eventually.)

The economy is slapping me in the face every day. "Want a job? Ha! We mock you! Do you know how many other laid-off, unemployed, starving editors are looking for jobs?" it says, as another bank shuts down.

I have had 14 meetings/interviews in three weeks and not one job offer.

Every publishing company is in a hiring freeze. "We like you, your work is really impressive. We just can't hire anyone right now."

I'm so brain-dead that I submitted a copy-editing cover letter, which was addressed to the wrong editor. I claimed to be, "meticulous and able to work accurately on a tight deadline." Apparently not.

But ... I'm not ready to give up just yet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there :) I feel your pain. My solution--pausing the job hunt--is much less proactive than yours, ha. Hope you had fun in DC. I live a few blocks east of Dupont Circle. You'll have to come again so I can show you around my 'hood.

Julie said...

Don't give up! You can do it Schleppy! You're in NYC and tomorrow is your birthday, remember. :)

Though I must say, I can commiserate with the brain-dead part.

rachel. said...

i know, i know -- i'm remembering! i need to enjoy NYC :)

rachel. said...

thanks, katie -- i am definitely going to plan another DC trip, so we'll play then. but i'm also supposed to peer pressure you to coming to nyc. so here's my pressuring ...

Anonymous said...

Secretly Mary,
Have you tried sleeping your way to the top? I heard people do that in big cities, it may be worth a shot.

rachel. said...

ha, nic, great advice, however whoring myself is last resort only