Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I Bit It

Yup, it's true. I bit it in the subway. Running to catch the F train at Rockefeller Center, my hot new patent, pointy-toe pumps got caught in my hot new wide-leg trousers. Down I went, and there's a little rub in my hot new trousers to prove it.

I wasn't even a bit embarrassed; just pissed that I'd probably missed the train. So I picked myself up and realized it was the V train I was running for -- the F train came a minute later and whisked me home.

See? These are the ups and downs of New York. One minute you're cursing the train and its many detours (then you get out and aimlessly travel five avenue blocks the wrong direction while talking on the phone); the next minute you're having chocolate and peanut butter fro yo with a great old friend, then on the way home, the train arrives immediately.

You love it here, you hate it here. That's the way it goes.

Today is really just my second full day in the city. I've been a traveling queen thus far. This weekend, I Amtrak-ed it to Hudson for a good friend's carnival-like wedding.

There was a juggler,



and a tight-rope walker,



And these clowns, too:



But mostly, it was the grandest party and the most genuine wedding I've been to. Best of all, I was reunited with the people that made me who I am (seriously). I wouldn't be pursuing a dream of working in New York if it weren't for the three kids with me in the bottom photo, plus many, many other people from Drake who I worked on DMAG with. Anywho, more spectacular shots here, please.

On the way home, we stopped at the Storm King Art Center for a bit of culture and nature, all in one!

Look how strong she is!


Look how tall he isn't!


Then, finally, I was home for Labor Day and enjoyed a lovely backyard Brooklyn BBQ, but didn't make it into Manhattan at all. Yesterday, I was up in Chappaqua (can we all guess what interview I had there?) and drove by Bill and Hillary's pad. Today, I finally went into the city for an HR meeting, but now have lots of work to be done from home. Tomorrow, another interview, and Friday another HR meeting (and two edit tests due somewhere in between).

Whew. There's a reason it's the city that never sleeps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! We went to Storm King the next day too! Except we hit it about an hour before closing, and one of the guides walked around with a bullhorn saying: "The park will be closing in 20 minutes, please return to your car before that...the park will be closing in 19 minutes, please return to your car before that...the park will be closing in 18 minutes..." No exaggeration.

Good luck with the interviews!

rachel. said...

man, those guides were intense, right? i got into one of the white cubes (a big no-no) and they were sprinting toward me about to ream me for not following the rules. but i touched nothing!

glad you got a little day trip out of it, too.