Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Time for my soapbox

Where, oh where, do I Barack the Vote this year?


I live in New York, yes, but I don't have a permanent address. I'm still registered in Oregon; my driver's license is Iowa; and most my important mail is sent to Kansas.

Ideas?

All I know is that Sarah Palin is the most terrifying name in American history, aside from (or perhaps akin to) George W. Bush.

Gloria Steinem and Eve Ensler and Rebecca Traister from Salon sum up my thoughts on the issue fairly well.

Even Matt Damon agrees.

I can say, as self-described feminist, that I've never been more terrified to have a woman in the White House. She is the anti-feminist woman; and for people to so boldly (and horrifyingly ignorantly) assume that because I'm a woman, I'll vote for her is equally as terrifying. Are we really so transparent? Do people really think we're so thoughtless, such sheep?

But what's sad is that there are people who truly believe that this Republican ticket will be the best choice for our government, economy, and all-around quality of life. Please, please tell me why. I really want to know. Because I frankly don't understand, and I think that middle America is duped beyond recognition. These people are so brainwashed into believing this neo-conservative party and their lies that they can't even recognize insanity and ridiculousness as it continuously slaps them in the face.

With a McCain/Palin ticket, we'd successfully shoot ourselves in the foot as women--and as a country. Someone who tries to ban books from libraries (good god), shoots wildlife from helicopters, and doesn't understand the Bush Doctrine (and doesn't even know that the Bush Doctrine is something she should, in fact, know) will ruin us.
"I write to my sisters. I write because I believe we hold this election in our hands. This vote is a vote that will determine the future not just of the U.S., but of the planet. It will determine whether we create policies to save the earth or make it forever uninhabitable for humans. It will determine whether we move towards dialogue and diplomacy in the world or whether we escalate violence through invasion, undermining and attack. It will determine whether we go for oil, strip mining, coal burning or invest our money in alternatives that will free us from dependency and destruction. It will determine if money gets spent on education and healthcare or whether we build more and more methods of killing. It will determine whether America is a free open tolerant society or a closed place of fear, fundamentalism and aggression." - Eve Ensler


Please, just tell me why. I'm listening.

No comments: