Wednesday, October 8, 2008

New York's Great Tourist Traps

It's no secret: I will visit any New York tourist trap. Statue of Liberty? Sure! Those tourist buses that you sit on top of while a yappy tourist guide tells you where all the celebs live? Yes, please. And give me a day that's totally empty of obligations, weather that's gorgeous, a friend who's willing to traipse around with me (and, miraculously, a city that seemed empty of actual tourists), and I'm set.

So, that's what my friend Snow and I did last weekend. See, she's worked at a number of museums around the city, so she has a handy little card that gets us in anywhere free.

Our first stop: The American Museum of Natural History. Little known fact about me: I'm a big nerd for museums, and this museum makes me feel like a little kid every time I go. I love it there.

I will never get over my love of tigers. Rarr!

Hands-down, the coolest display in any museum, anywhere.


Next on our list was the Starry Night exhibition at MoMA. Sold out. Darn it. But on our walk there, we passed the Ed Sullivan Theatre, where David Letterman tapes. Now I was getting way too into this tourist thing, and sweet-talked Snow into taking a photo of me under the marquee. See, my parents (hi, Mom and Dad!) are huge Letterman fans. In fact, before I moved to New York, my mom would watch the show and see shots of Broadway, then call me and ask, "Doesn't it make you want to be there?"

Then I walked around the corner to see if Rupert was around at Hello Deli.


Right before we snapped this photo, Rupert walked out. "Rupert!" I said, sticking my hand. He shook it. "I'm Rachel, it's nice to meet you." "Nice to meet you, too," he said. "Love you on the show!" "Thanks," he said and went inside to make more sandwiches.

Some people have real celeb sightings. I have Rupert.

Our final stop of the day was Rockefeller Center, on a totally boring stop at the NBC Store. As we walked by 30 Rock, I told Snow how I'd really wanted to go up to the Top of the Rock. A quick glance at the line, a "why not?" glance at me, and she said: Let's just go. A great friend.

We pose like tourists, too.

So worth the $20. Best views of the city.

I'm not sure when people move here why they feel automatically too cool to do these things. I can sit at home on a Saturday in Iowa the same way I can do here. In Iowa you can't go up 70-some stories and see all of New York City, though. Can't see any skeletons of T-Rexes either. Gotta take advantage of it while I'm here, I guess.

So a bit of this is for Jessica, who told me to make my New York Bucket List. This was part of it, girl. Hope you approve!

No comments: